Posted by: Zero Sunday, June 15, 2014

When you finished this lesson, you will be able to use this kind of construction in Japanese: "She wants him to do this".

Expressing desires of a third person is not a basic theme in any language, but it becomes necessary when you get better at the language and need a more complex sentence construction. First, let me clear up what a third person is. In grammar, third person is he, she, it, or they; that is, a person that is not you nor me.

In Japanese, we use たい with verbs to say "(I) want", but what many of us don’t know is that we cannot use just たい  in third person. We need to add みたい or ようだ after たい when we are talking in the third person.  The only difference between みたい and ようだ is that the latter sounds more formal than the former.

PersonEnglish ExampleJapanese Example
First personI want to eat.は食べたい(です)。
Third personShe wants to eat.彼女は食べたいみたい(です)。

Now you are able to express desire in third person using verbs, but what happens when there is no verbs, for example, she wants a car. As we can’t say "彼女は車がたいです。", we need ほしい with the particle.

PersonEnglish ExampleJapanese Example
First personI want a car.は車がほしい(です)。
Third personShe wants a car.彼女は車がほしいみたい(です)。

The previous constructions are very useful, but with them, we are not still able to say "she wants him to do this" because in this kind of phrase there are two people interacting. How do we add one more person? Easy, just use the particle to clarify the person who does the action.


PersonEnglish ExampleJapanese Example
First personI want her to do it.私は彼女それをやってほしい(です)。
Third personShe wants him to do it.彼女は彼それをやってほしいみたい(です)。

That’s it, if you need to use it in negative you just use くない in ほしい because ほしい is actually an adjective, so its conjugation is the same as one.


Positive SentenceNegative Sentence
私はやりたい(です)。私はやりたくない(です)。
彼女はやりたいみたい(です)。彼女はやりたくないみたい(です)。
私は彼女にそれをやってほしい(です)。私は彼女にそれをやってほしくない(です)。
彼女は彼にそれをやってほしいみたい(です)。彼女は彼にそれをやってほしくないみたい(です)。

  僕にやってほしいことがありますか?あったら、コメントをしてくださいね! じゃあね!

Choose The best Way to Comment For You:

Blogger
Disqus
Facebook
Google+

{ 2 comentarios ... read them below or Comment }

  1. Hello, Zero. I really enjoyed this post.
    I have a question, though.
    Does 食べたいみたい(です)mean the same thing as 食べたがっている?
    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you enjoyed this post. Regarding your question, you’re right. ~たがる is the same as たいみたい. It’s used in third person, too.

      Delete

Don’t be shy. Write something!

Follow me on

Find me on Facebook

Follow by email

Enter your email address to get new content:

Thanks for Subscribing :)

My Tweets

Total Pageviews

My Image Profile

My Photo
Hey, I’m Zero. I’m a translator of Japanese anime and manga and a languages lover. Enjoy my blog.

Don’t Forget to Comment!

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected  HDLM-5NWQ-SU96-GL5S © - Zero - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - Visit my Fansub SyncRajo -