Posted by: Zero Monday, June 9, 2014

Many students of languages around the world tend to translate literally each word when they want to convey something in another language. Desear which in English means "to wish" is a tricky verb in Spanish because it only sounds natural in few cases. In order to express "I wish I could/had", we need to know that "desear" is not used here; instead, we use the subjunctive mood and the word ojalá.

Ojalá  is used along with subjunctive because your statement will never be a real fact.

 Let’s see some sentences:

Ojalá pudiera correr más rápido.
I wish I could run faster.

Ojalá (él) pudiera correr más rápido. (If the context is clear, you can omit él)
I wish he could run faster.

Ojalá tuvieras más dinero.
I wish you had more money.

You can also use ojalá when you are regretting something done or not done in the past, but you also need the preterit imperfect of the verb haber as a complement.

Ojalá hubiera besado a esa chica.
I wish I had kissed that girl.

Ojalá no te hubiera conocido.
I wish I hadn’t met you.

☑ Ojalá hubiera podido ver al Papa de cerca.
☑ I wish I could have seen the Pope closer.

If you have any questions, leave a comment in the comment box.

Choose The best Way to Comment For You:

Blogger
Disqus
Facebook
Google+

Don’t be shy. Write something!

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Follow me on

Find me on Facebook

Follow by email

Enter your email address to get new content:

Thanks for Subscribing :)

My Tweets

Total Pageviews

My Image Profile

My Photo
Hey, I’m Zero. I’m a translator of Japanese anime and manga and a languages lover. Enjoy my blog.

Don’t Forget to Comment!

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected  HDLM-5NWQ-SU96-GL5S © - Zero - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - Visit my Fansub SyncRajo -