Posted by: Zero Monday, September 15, 2014

Por ende and por lo tanto are formal ways to say por eso in Spanish. They could be translated as therefore, consequently, thus, or as a consequence.


✔El gerente no cumplió con los objetivos planteados para este año, por ende ha sido despedido.
✔The manager didn’t fulfill the objectives for this year, thus he was fired.

✔Esta univerdad tiene el mejor catedrático del país, por lo tanto es reconocida a nivel nacional.
✔This university has the best professor in its country, therefore it is recognized on a national level.

It is possible to use them at the beginning of the sentence when there is a previous context that makes it possible.

✔Los au-pair no están recibiendo apoyo suficiente por parte de las familias anfitrionas. Por lo tanto/Por ende, se invita a los afectados a una reunión en la embajada para tratar el caso.
✔The au-pair are not receiving enough support from the host families. Therefore/Thus, we welcome affected people to come to a meeting at the embassy to address this case.

Por lo que is similar to them. However, it is not used at the beginning of a sentence.

✔El gerente no cumplió con los objetivos planteados para este año, por lo que ha sido despedido.
✔The manager didn’t fulfill the objectives for this year, thus he was fired.

☒Los au-pair no están recibiendo apoyo suficiente por parte de las familias anfitrionasPor lo que, se invita a los afectados a una reunión en la embajada para tratar el caso.

As they are formal expressions, we seldom use them in casual sentences because they’d sound a bit weird as follows:

(?) Mi mamá me trajo un regalo, por ende estoy feliz.
(?) Mi mom gave me a present, thus I’m happy.

A more natural sentence would be:

✔Estoy feliz porque mi mamá me dio un regalo.
✔I’m happy because my mom gave me a present.

Choose The best Way to Comment For You:

Blogger
Disqus
Facebook
Google+

{ 2 comentarios ... read them below or Comment }

  1. En realidad esto me ayudó muchísimo, nunca he entendido completamente estas frases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Qué gusto me da escucharlo. Saludos y espero que las perfecciones pronto.

      Delete

Don’t be shy. Write something!

Follow me on

Find me on Facebook

Follow by email

Enter your email address to get new content:

Thanks for Subscribing :)

My Tweets

Total Pageviews

My Image Profile

My Photo
Hey, I’m Zero. I’m a translator of Japanese anime and manga and a languages lover. Enjoy my blog.

Don’t Forget to Comment!

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected  HDLM-5NWQ-SU96-GL5S © - Zero - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - Visit my Fansub SyncRajo -